American Chopsuey is a chinese inspired american dish. There are a number of ways in which it is made. Some like the noodles fried after it has been cooked. But I prefer it this way. I still remember the first time I had fried noodles, and I had a very bad time with it and the taste of it haunted me for days. So…here’s the recipe of (My Style) American Chopsuey.
Servings: 1 person
- Spaghetti – 150 gm
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Onion – 1 no.
- Tomato puree – of 1 medium tomato
- Tomato ketchup – 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Pepper powder – as per taste
- Oregano – a pinch
- Thyme – a pinch
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup (sliced)
- Cornstarch – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2tbsp
- Egg – 1no.( Fried to make a Bull’s Eye)
- Heat plenty of water in a large deep pan. When the water starts boiling add 1 tsp salt and 1tbsp oil to it and stir. Then add the spaghetti and allow to cook for about 5 to 7 mins. Then drain it and pour cold water over it and set aside to drain completely.
- In a separate saucepan, heat 2tbsp oil and add the minced garlic to it and when it starts giving off its aroma, immediately add the onion and saute. Add salt, pepper powder, oregano and thyme. Mix all the ingredients and when the onion becomes tender add soy sauce, tomato puree, tomato ketchup and the mixed vegetables. Cook for about 5mins.
- Finally add the sliced capsicum. Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup of water add into the saucepan. When the sauce thickens stir and remove from stove.
- On a serving plate, firstly place the cooked spaghetti (make sure that the noodles are not sticking to each other and in the form of a single mass. In case they are, use a fork and gently separate them out) and top with a generous amount of the prepared gravy/sauce and finally place the Bull’s Eye over it and serve.