Hello!! The first thing you all might be wondering is ..where did I disappear for so long. I was very much here but got caught up with a few things and didn’t find time to have a chat or share recipes with you all. From the last week of Ramadan, I have been busy and I have actually settled back to my daily routine only this week.
Though a few dishes that I made during last month are still on the waiting list yet to be posted, I wanted to make up for the long break and give you a sweet treat with these lovely cupcakes. I am posting this recipe despite the fact that I have already posted red velvet cake on my blog earlier and that is because they are just so irresistible with this frosting.
I have promised myself to make them soon again so that I can give some to my friends and relatives. Hope you all will try it out too and give me your feedback.
Makes: 12 cupcakes
For Red Velvet Cupcake
- Plain flour – 1 ¼ cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking powder – ¼ tsp
- Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 60 gm (@ room temp.)
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Egg – 1 large no.
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Liquid Red food coloring – 1 tbsp
- Buttermilk – 120ml
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- White vinegar – ½ tsp
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese – 100 gm
- Thick cream – 80 gm
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Icing Sugar – ¼ cup (can be adjusted as per individual taste)
- Sift together plain flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk and liquid red food coloring in cup.
- In a large bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Add an egg and beat again for 2 mins. Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk alternatively (beginning and ending with the dry ingredients; 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of wet ingredients) beating after each addition.
- Place the baking soda in a small bowl and pour vinegar into it. Wait for the bubbling to finish and add it into the cake batter and gently mix it in using a spatula. Spoon the batter into a cupcake tray or silicon cups fitted with cupcake liners.
- Bake in an oven preheated at 180C for 20 mins or till a skewer or toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- For the cream cheese frosting, beat together cream cheese, thick cream and icing sugar until well combined. Transfer into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle some cake crumbs on top and refrigerate for 5 to10 mins and serve.