Hii all. Ramadan Kareem wishes to all my dear friends and I hope and pray that this month brings you all happiness, blessings and peace.
Iftar or the fast breaking event is something all look forward to and expect mouth watering dishes on the table. I mostly make one savoury dish ( that’s for my hubby) and one sweet dish ( for me) for iftar. It’s actually fun to try out new snacks and I do that whenever I can during this month.
Dahi vada is a healthy and filling snack. It has lentils, yogurt and vegetables and that makes it wholesome too. The yogurt in it makes it apt for iftar as it gives a cooling effect to the stomach. You are, no doubt, going to love it!!
Servings: 4 persons
- Urad Dal – 3/4 cup
- Whole black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Yogurt – 500gm
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Sugar – 1 to 2 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Whole dried red chilis – 4nos.
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Dried pomegranate seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion chopped – 1 no.
- Tomato chopped – 1 no.
- Coriander leaves chopped – 3 tbsps
- Oil – for frying
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for an hour. Then drain and grind it along with the peppercorns, adding very little water, till it gets fairly smooth. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok and add the vada mixture into the hot oil using hand or spoon (the shape doesn’t matter) and fry till golden brown.
- Keep a bowl of water ready by your side and add the fried vadas into it after draining the oil. Allow the vadas to remain in water till the next batch gets fried. Then gently squeeze the vadas and transfer to a plate.
- Heat a pan and roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds and whole dried red chilis for 3mins. Cool it and add dried pomegranate seeds to it and powder it in a grinder.
- Whisk together yogurt, salt, sugar, lime juice, chaat masala and a little of the roasted masala powder.
- Add in chopped onion, tomato and fresh coriander leaves. Combine everything well and add in the vadas and mix gently.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and sprinkle some prepared masala powder over it and serve.