When someone says Gajar or Carrot halwa I remember my cousin who is an expert at it. When I was staying with my aunt during my college days, my cousin used to make it as a treat for all when she came home during her college vacations. And then we all would attack the halwa bowl and empty it in minutes.
Carrot halwa requires about an hour of cooking time but the ingredients are few and readily available. So you don’t have an excuse for not making it for your family and friends.:-)
Serving: 6 persons
- Carrots – 1 kg
- Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 3/4 to 1 cup
- Ghee/ clarified butter – 4 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1tsp levelled
- Golden raisins – for garnishing
- Cashews – for garnishing
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Boil milk in a wide and deep heavy bottomed pan with the grated carrots till most of the moisture dries up. Keep stirring in between.
- Add sugar and sauté for 5mins.
- Then add ghee and cardamom powder. Continue to sauté till all the moisture dries up.
- In a separate pan, heat a little ghee and fry the raisins and cashews and add it into the halwa.
- Allow the halwa to cool and serve topped with some cashews.