I guess, the name itself has made everyone to take a second look at the contents of this post. lol. This cake is from a TV show. The cake was named after another striped animal, Zebra. But I guess ‘Tiger’ is more appropriate in this case as the eggs (egg yolk) I used, gave the cake a yellow colour that made it incorrect to call it ‘Zebra cake’.
Its similar to sponge cake but with a few extra ingredients and a bit more effort to get that beautiful look. I have customized the recipe and its not the original recipe that I got from the TV show.
- Eggs – 2 nos.
- Sugar – 8 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Plain Flour – 7 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder (Sifted) – 2 tbsps
- Milk – 2 to 3 tbsps
- Salt – a pinch
- Grease and line a 6″ dia cake tin/ non-stick deep pan with butter paper.
- Sift together salt, baking powder and plain flour and set side.
- Beat the eggs for a minute then add in sugar and continue beating till soft and fluffy. Then add in vanilla essence and oil. Beat for a minute more.
- Fold in the dry ingredients very gently.
- Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl. Fold in sifted cocoa powder into the batter in one bowl. If the cocoa batter gets a bit too thick, add 2 or 3 tbsp of milk to get the same consistency as the yellow batter.
- Pour the yellow batter into the center of the lined tin/pan. Then pour the cocoa batter right at the center of the tin. The batter will gradually spread. Then pour the yellow batter, followed by the cocoa batter. Repeat the process till all the batter has been used up. Do not shake the tin as this will spoil the stripes of the cake.
- If you are cooking on stove, place an iron tray directly over the flame and place the nonstick pan over it with a flat lid. Place a heavy object over the lid and cook on low flame for about 15 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- If you are baking the cake, then preheat the oven at 180C for about 15 to 20 mins. Do the skewer test to check whether the cake is ready.