Hello friends. Hope you are all well? As it is Ramadan(Islamic month during which Muslims fast), there is no escaping from cooking and that includes snacks and main course. I wanted to make the best use of this chance and try out all the Ramadan special dishes that I had never tried before in my kitchen. Hmm…and so far I guess I was pretty successful. And this dish is one among them.
This is again my mom’s recipe. Thanks to her!!
- Whole chicken – 800gm
- Egg – 1 or 2 (hard boiled)
For the stuffing
- Onion – 4 big (sliced)
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2tbsp
- Tomato – 1 big
- Green chili – 2 to 3nos.(finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
- Chili powder – 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2tsp
- Oil – 3 to 4tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Clean and wash the whole chicken and pat dry with a cloth. Make a few gashes on the breast and thighs of the chicken.
- Prepare the marinade and apply on the chicken and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan and saute the onion till it turns pink. Then add the ginger garlic paste and green chilies. Saute for about 3 mins and then add in the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and pepper powder.
- Add a very little amount of water to the pan to prevent the spices from burning. Then add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns mushy.
- The filling in now ready.
- Take the marinated chicken and fill in a little stuffing into the chicken then put in the egg(s) and again a little stuffing leaving about 3tbsp of stuffing.
- Then using a clean sewing thread and needle, stitch up the bottom of the chicken to prevent the stuffing from coming out.
- Place the remaining stuffing and the chicken in a pressure cooker and cook on low flame without placing the weight on the cooker lid. Cook for about 20mins and turn the chicken around in between.
- Serve hot with chapathi or naan.