Idli was one of my least loved foods during my childhood days. But now when I think of it, I pity that I used to not enjoy such a wonderful south Indian dish. Anyways…now that I have learnt that idli not only tastes good but also is easy to prepare, it has become a regular visitor in our home!! Try it out, maybe it will be in yours too!!
Servings: 4 persons
- White Rice – 2 cups
- Urad Dal – ½ cup
- Cooked Rice – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the white rice and soak it in water along with the fenugreek seeds and cooked rice overnight.
- Wash the urad dal and soak it in a separate bowl.
- Grind the urad dal with as little water as possible till it becomes smooth and frothy.
- Then grind the white rice, cooked rice and fenugreek seeds till smooth.
- Pour both the batter into a large bowl and add salt and mix.
- Leave it overnight for fermenting.
- Pour the fermented batter into greased idli moulds and steam for about 10 to 15 mins. Allow it to cool well and spoon out the idlis carefully.
- Serve hot with sambhar or chammanthi powder or any chutney of choice.