Hii everybody!! I’m back after a short break with a vegetarian recipe. Moong Dal was something that I rarely used for cooking and 1 small packet of it would run in my kitchen for months. That was because I didn’t know any tasty dishes to make with it. Then I got this recipe from my mom and I really loved it. It’s simple, healthy and great for lunch or dinner.
Servings: 5 to 6 persons
- Moong dal / Green gram – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1 medium (chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chili – 2 nos (slit)
- Onion – 1 large (sliced)
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 6 nos.
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/3 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped)
- Rice – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- In a pressure cooker, add the washed moong dal, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, green chili, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, tomato and half of the sliced onion. Pour enough water so that the dal is well submerged. Pressure cook till 4 to 5 whistles come.
- In a bowl, mix together coconut, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds,1/4 tsp turmeric powder, chopped garlic, remaining sliced onion and curry leaves.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tsp rice. When the rice pop, add the coconut mixture and roast for 3 to 4 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Then blend the cooled mixture with a little water to form a smooth paste.
- Add the blended mixture to the cooked dal and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Serve hot with plain rice or chappathis.