- Chicken Breast – 200gm
- Egg – 1
- Cornstarch – 6 tbsp
- White Pepper powder – 1tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Dried Whole Red Chili – 3 to 4nos.
- Spring Onion – 2 nos.
- Tomato Ketchup – 1tbsp
- Green chili – 2 to 3nos.
- Ginger – 1′ piece
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Soy Sauce – 2tbsp
- Sugar – 2tsp
- Chicken Stock – 1cup
- Roasted Cashews/ Peanuts – 1/2cup
- Plum Sauce – 1 to 2 tbsp*
- Cut chicken breast into 1″ cubes. Mix egg, 4tbsp cornstarch, white pepper powder and salt into the chicken pieces and leave aside to marinate for 1 hour.
- Remove stem and break red chilies into two. Blend the remaining cornstarch in half cup of water. Finely chop the spring onions. Finely chop ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok and deep fry the marinated chicken pieces till it turns golden brown. remove and place on a paper towel.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a deep pan. Add the broken red chilies, chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies and stir fry for a minute. Add chopped spring onions and continue to stir fry for a minute more.
- Add soy sauce, sugar and salt. Stir in the chicken stock, tomato ketchup and plum sauce and cook for a minute. Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and immediately add the fried chicken pieces and cashews. Cook for 2mins on high heat stirring continuously.
- Serve hot with fried rice or noodles.
* Plum Sauce substitute can be prepared using plum jam. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine jam, vinegar, brown sugar, dried onion, red pepper, garlic and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and use. (As I didn’t have plum jam I used apricot jam in its place.)