Hi friends! Finally I’ve decided to post the recipe of lasagne(pronounced as lasania). It’s one of my favorite and trust me it is a ‘must try’ dish. Before we start off let me give you a brief idea (to those who haven’t heard of lasagne). It consists of 3 layers..the pasta sheets, Bolognese sauce , Béchamel sauce and topped with grated cheese. Here’s the recipe…
- Lasagne sheets – 6
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese – 70g
For Bolognese Sauce:
- Minced meat – 300g
- Onions – 3 (chopped)
- Garlic – 3 nos. (crushed)
- Tomatoes – 2 (pureed)
- Tomato Ketchup – 4tbsp
- Olive Oil – 3tbsp
- Rosemary – 1/4 tsp
- Thyme -1/4 tsp
- Oregano – 1/4 tsp
- Salt and Pepper – As required
For Béchamel Sauce:
- Milk – 380 ml
- Butter – 45 g
- Flour – 3 tbsp
- Nutmeg Powder- 1 pinch
- Salt and pepper – As required
- Lasagne Sheet: Put the sheets of pasta into a deep pan and pour water till all the sheets are fully immersed. Cook till they are soft. Remove the lasagne sheets one by one from the water and place them onto a tea towel. Then turn them over to pat them dry on both sides.
- Béchamel Sauce: Pour the milk into a small saucepan and let it heat until warm, not boiling.Place the other saucepan over a medium heat and add the butter. When it has melted, add the flour and mix well until smooth. Just before it starts to turn brown, slowly add the milk. Using the whisk, stir continuously until the sauce begins to thicken.When thick, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Then give it one further whisk and remove from the heat.
- Bolognese sauce: Heat olive oil in a deep pan and add the chopped onion into it and saute till it turns transparent. Then add in the crushed garlic, stir and add salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Mix well and wait for a minute. Then add the tomato puree and tomato ketchup( this is to enhance the colour of the sauce). Finally add the minced meat and stir the contents of the pan well. Cover the pan and cook on simmer till 95% of the water content has evaporated and you get the consistency of a sauce.
- Lasagne: Start by layering the half the bolognese sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Next, place the cooked pasta sheets over it. Then spoon over some béchamel sauce, and finally, sprinkle with Mozarella cheese.Now repeat the process: the rest of the Bolognese, followed by the the lasagne sheets, then the béchamel sauce and finally the cheese. Preheat the oven on 200C and bake the lasgne for about 20minutes.
- Serve: When the cheese has turned golden brown, remove the lasagne from the oven and allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Lasagne is delicious served alone or it can be accompanied by a freshly made green salad.